Friday, March 31, 2006

Hole-in-One


THINKING BACK...
''A LUCKY Shot.''

---''The site was the 11th hole at Hillcrest Country Club. Paul used a nine iron on the shorty. Only 110 yards.'' That is part of the Newspaper Story that accompanied my hole-in-one. There was more, but not much. Getting my name in the paper was half the kick. It was nothing much more than a ''lucky'' shot and to show you, I got an 11 on the next hole and lost the ball. The Hole-in-one happened, July 16, 1967.
---The funny part was afterwards at the Proshop. An elderly man named ''Jack'' was working as clerk that day. I was 16 years old at the time and spent some time there as a caddy. I was not a fixture, but had been there enough to have a nodding acquaintance with some of the ''regulars,'' and thankfully it was witnessed by a ''regular,'' as this was NOT going to be believed from a ''bunch of kids.''
.
---This Was VERY Funny.---
---After, we, along with the ''witness,'' convinced ''Jack'' that this actually happened, ''Jack'' started taking down the information. This is the funny part. Jack asked me if I had a handicap? To back-track a bit and if you didn't read the last ''INSIDER,'' I was born missing four fingers on my left-hand. [See pictures above.] I proceeded to tell ''Jack'' about my hand and how it really is not a ''handicap'' and that I had been born this way so I really didn't miss the four fingers. I think I was going into my Little League career to explain that being born a certain way is different than ''losing'' your fingers after having them, as one would have to re-adapt to the situation when ''Jack'' just looked at me and said,''I'll put down zero.''
---Of course, he meant ''golf handicap''. I went a whole 'nother way with it. ''Jack'' didn't see this one coming and I don't blame him. I was putting a different meaning on the word ''handicap,'' than what was meant.
.
(A Very Robotic-Look In The Photo Above, Seems I May Have Been A Little ''Tightly,'' Wound.)

No comments: